Thought I’d give this recipe a shot because while doing my pre-grocery shopping food surf on the couch one night, the hubs glanced over and saw that I had this recipe on the screen and commented that it looked ‘yum’…that did it. Sold to the biggest ‘yum’. Got to give it a try…plus the teensy draw of it being ‘one-pot’ of course.
Sausages and rice straight from the stove and into our bellies on a cold, snowy evening…very, very comforting indeed. It’s a very simple recipe and rather adaptable too. Add more rice if you prefer a more hearty risotto-like dish , less if you prefer something soupy. I also took the liberty of adding frozen peas. carrots and chilli to give it a touch of veggie and spice. I’m pretty sure most vegetables will cook well in this dish.
- 6 – 8 sausages (I used lincolnshire sausages)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1.5 cups long grain rice
- 600ml chicken stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- a large handful of frozen peas
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped (optional)
- Squeeze meat out of sausage skins and roll into balls. Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan, then brown the meatballs well on all sides until cooked – you might need to do this in batches. Set the meatballs aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Soften for 5 mins, stir in the spices and rice, then cook for another min. Pour in the stock and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any sausagey bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the vegetables. Simmer for 10 mins until the rice is just cooked, then stir in the meatballs with some seasoning, simmer another minute, then serve – top with spring onions and some chilli.