Small, blue and bursting with goodness. Once considered merely as a pie filling is now a superfood. It is full of anti-oxidants and vitamins and heath nuts are preaching the goodness of the blueberry.
It’s going to be blueberry season soon, although we are lucky enough to get blueberries most of the year here. Fresh or frozen. It’s delicious and I love baking with them. Cheesecakes, muffins, slices and in this instance, thrown into the mix to jazz up a regular, good old butter cake.
A simple and wonderful treat on a lazy Saturday afternoon…
BLUEBERRY BUTTER CAKE
200gm castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
200gm self raising flour, sifted with½ tsp salt
4 tbsp fresh milk
150g blueberries (fresh or frozen), tossed in 1 tbsp flour
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 170C
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Fold in sifted flour gradually to mix.
- Stir in milk. Mix until well combined, then fold through all the blueberries.
- Turn out mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.