Zucchini (also known as courgette) is a champion of a squash. They are versatile, yummy and healthy and if you’re creative…they can be made into a variety of savoury dishes and sweet treats. Think zucchini muffins/bread/cake…think Mediterranean salads…think hearty vegetable stews, layered in an open lasagne or fresh ribbons in a salad. So much to love but I do enjoy them in the form of these delicious patties. Normally these are vegetarian fritters but I’ve added bacon to mine because, who doesn’t love bacon?
These fritters make a great appetiser, snack, a pot-luck or picnic contribution – but the hubby and I inhaled these for lunch…definitely meeting our quota of greens for the day. They’re so easy to make you don’t need to be a domestic goddess to get these going.
Makes about 12
- 2 medium zucchinis, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 strips of middle bacon, diced (optional but totally yummy!)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp dried herbs (oregano, thyme or basil)
- Salt & pepper
- Canola oil for frying
Sweet chilli yogurt dip
- 1/2 cup of light greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. sweet chilli sauce
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
1. Coursely grate zucchinis and place them in a cheesecloth, chux or super strength paper towels – squeeze/wring out excess water. Set the wringed out zucchini aside in a large bowl.
2. Heat up a frying pan on medium heat and fry the diced bacon and onions till the onions become soft and translucent. You do not have to add oil because the bacon should have enough fat. If you’re using lean bacon, a drizzle of oil wouldn’t hurt. Once cooked, set aside and let the bacon and onion cool slightly.
3. In the zucchini bowl, add flour, grated parmesan, beaten egg, dried herbs, cooked bacon and onion. Add salt and pepper for seasoning. Mix well until it comes together.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons of canola oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Drop 1-heaped tablespoonful measures of zucchini mixture into pan, flatten the mixture with the back of your spoon. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat.
5. Mix yogurt with lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Add sweet chilli sauce and swirl it through before serving with fritters.